Monday, October 26, 2009

International Youth Camp, Russia - Summer 2005

When I first told my family and friends that I was going to Russia their reaction was: Why do you want to go there? Most of them thought I was crazy to travel alone to a foreign country where I did not know the language or even the alphabet! But I am so pleased that I set myself the challenge and chose an unusual destination. I gained far more from the experience than I would have done if I had chosen a European or English speaking country.


I would recommend Russia to anyone. It is a beautiful country steeped in history and nature. I have discovered that Russia does not live up to people’s prejudices; many people think it is a dangerous and backwards country but the truth is opposite. I never experienced any trouble during my visit and met many helpful people who made my trip easier and more enjoyable. I have made many friends, local and foreign, who I plan to visit again in the future.


I would advise volunteers to choose a country that they know little about because it is fascinating to learn about the culture and history. Do not be deterred by a country where you do not speak the language or know little about it. Personally, I found it very rewarding to know that I had organized the entire trip and made it safely to my destination. The most difficult part was the organization beforehand; once I was on the plane I had no problems and enjoyed a brilliant couple of weeks.


Kitty Shiner.


Click here for pictures of projects in Russia

Click here for a country profile of Russia

No comments: